Hardwood Floor Sanding in 10 Simple Steps
Hardwood floor sanding does not have to be difficult if you know and follow all the necessary steps. Here is a guide to hardwood floor sanding in 10 simple steps.
- Clear the room of all the furniture. Cover all hanging items like fans and ceiling lights in protective plastic.
- Use protective plastic and create a barrier in the doorway to prevent dust from going into other rooms.
- If you find protruding nails, use a hammer to sink them back into place. If there are any holes, use wood filler.
- Choose a drum or oscillating sander depending on the level of hardwood floor sanding required. You may also need handheld sanders to reach corners.
- Start with a rougher sandpaper and sand an area of 3-4 feet at a time, evenly.
- Do not linger in the same spot for too long to prevent overly sanding an area as well as clogging of the sandpaper.
- Regularly change sandpaper or clear debris from its surface.
- Use handheld sander to sand hard-to-reach areas.
- Thoroughly vacuum clean the entire floor.
- Switch to finer sandpaper and repeat the entire process of hardwood floor sanding and vacuuming.